Stand (redirected from make someone's hair stand on end)
Also found in: Dictionary
1. a stall, booth, or counter from which goods may be sold
2. an exhibition area in a trade fair
3. Cricket an extended period at the wicket by two batsmen
4. a growth of plants in a particular area, esp trees in a forest or a crop in a field
5. a stop made by a touring theatrical company, pop group, etc., to give a performance (esp in the phrase one-night stand)
6. (of a gun dog) the act of pointing at game
a section of forest, natural or artificial in origin, that includes trees, shrubs, and various forest plants. There are various types of stands, consisting of groups of trees and other forest components having features characteristic of the given section (origin, kinds of trees, form, density, age, forest type, quality).
an inclined support on which music is placed. Stands in front of musicians who play the same part in the orchestra, for example, the first violins, are designated by consecutive numbers (first stand, second stand, third stand, and so on). The concertmaster and his assistant sit behind the first stand.
A group of plants, distinguishable from adjacent vegetation, which is generally uniform in species composition, age, and condition.
The amount of standing timber per unit area; usually expressed in terms of volume.
A set of rolls used in a metal-rolling process.
The interval at high or low water when there is no appreciable change in the height of the tide. Also known as tidal stand.