mixer-settler


Also found in: Wikipedia.

mixer-settler

[′mik·sər ′set·lər]
(chemical engineering)
Solvent-extraction system with alternating or combined arrangement of mixers and settlers; used for chemicals extraction, lubricating-oil refining, and uranium oxide recovery. Also known as mixer-settler extractor.
References in periodicals archive ?
Tenders are invited for Fabrication and supply of CALM IX based Mixer-Settler unit.
12 shows a schematic representation of a mixer-settler for mixing the two solutions and then separating them to be sent to the other layer.
Tenova TAKRAF will provide an agglomeration plant, an on-off leach pad measuring 3,000 m by 800 m and a waste handling system; Tenova Bateman Technologies will supply the SX plant, which will use Bateman's proprietary reverse-flow mixer-settler (RFMS) technology.
The lab features a bespoke 30-stage mini-centrifugal contactor cascade and an 18-stage small-scale mixer-settler battery to allow for solvent extraction-based actinide separations.
One way to implement separations utilizing the process is to use a common mixer-settler unit.
Quinn Process Equipment will display its expanded line of pilot plant and small commercial size SX Mixer-Settler Units.
With respect to R&D, Kvaerner's non-ferrous group considers it a minor part of its strategy, with some historical work in the area of mixer-settler technology and reverse flow technology.
A pilot-scale version of the VSF mixer-settler design was tested at Codelco's Chuquicamata mine in 1992 before the commercial version was installed at Zaldivar in 1995.
It has a conventional 2 x 1 SX circuit configuration and incorporates a novel, cost-effective reverse flow mixer-settler design.
The washing efficiency of the wash mixer-settler is also important because of RT's high chloride content.
The SX mixer-settler will recover 90% of the copper from the pregnant liquor, the remaining 10% of the copper will be returned to the heap leach in the raffinate with the addition of sulphuric acid.
The development of more selective extractants and improved mixer-settler designs have reduced the size and therefore the capital costs of modern SX/EW plants.