odd

(redirected from odds)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to odds: Odds ratio

odd

1. 
a. not divisible by two
b. represented or indicated by a number that is not divisible by two
2. Maths (of a function) changing sign but not absolute value when the sign of the independent variable is changed, as in y=x3
3. Golf
a. one stroke more than the score of one's opponent
b. an advantage or handicap of one stroke added to or taken away from a player's score

ODD

(1) (Optical Disc Drive or Optical Digital Disc) See optical disc.

(2) (Object Data Definition) A description of the data in an object. See object.
References in classic literature ?
I cannot pretend to recount all that he told me, but I gleaned from what he said that he was the genius who presided over the contretemps of mankind, and whose business it was to bring about the odd accidents which are continually astonishing the skeptic.
Having completed them to my satisfaction, I again looked toward the time-piece and was half inclined to believe in the possibility of odd accidents when I found that, instead of my ordinary fifteen or twenty minutes, I had been dozing only three; for it still wanted seven and twenty of the appointed hour.
My dreams were terrifically disturbed by visions of the Angel of the Odd.
While I stood bewildered at the suddenness of this accident, (which might have happened, nevertheless, to any one under the sun), and while I still continued incapable of sight, I was accosted by the Angel of the Odd, who proffered me his aid with a civility which I had no reason to expect.
Put your right hand into your left hand preeches pocket, ten, in token ov your vull zubmizzion unto te Angel ov te Odd.
In general the continental, or at least the Belgian old women permit themselves a licence of manners, speech, and aspect, such as our venerable granddames would recoil from as absolutely disreputable, and Madame Reuter's jolly face bore evidence that she was no exception to the rule of her country; there was a twinkle and leer in her left eye; her right she kept habitually half shut, which I thought very odd indeed.
The Eagles still trail the Minnesota Vikings in both Super Bowl odds and NFC odds.
Danny Welbeck and Theo Walcott are both on offer at odds of 9/1 to find the back of the German net first.
Those with ADHD symptoms had 32% greater odds of bullying, 22% greater odds of being victimized, and 46% greater odds of being a bully/victim.
Ron Gordon, a retired California science teacher behind Odd Day wants everyone to "be awed by the odd" and the date chosen is either 9/7/2011 or 7/9/2011, with 5/7/9 being the previous odd day, and 9/11/13 being the fifth and last of the century.
If a punter combines a large number of teams they might be betting at odds of 1,000-1, which means the bookmaker will be betting at odds of 1-1,000.
Odds ratios for these outcomes were calculated using logistic regression.