Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. a flat or maisonette built onto the top floor or roof of a block of flats
2. a construction on the roof of a building, esp one used to house machinery
3. a shed built against a building, esp one that has a sloping roof
4. Real Tennis the roofed corridor that runs along three sides of the court
A structure on a flat-roofed building, occupying usually less than half the roof area.
An enclosed space built on a flat roof to cover a stairway, elevator, or other equipment.
A dwelling built on top of the main roof.
A sloping shed or roof attached to a wall or building.
penthouse, pendice, pentice
1. A structure occupying usually less than half the roof area of a flat-roofed building, and used: (a) to house equipment for elevator, ventilation or air conditioning, or other mechanical or electrical systems serving the building, or (b) to house one or more apartments, access to which is gained by a stair or stairs, or a separate elevator but usually not by the building’s main elevators.
2. An appentice.