septicaemia

(redirected from septicemic)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.

septicaemia

(US), septicemia
a condition caused by pus-forming microorganisms in the blood
References in periodicals archive ?
Plague is caused by the rod-shaped bacterium Yersinia pestis and is a disease that presents itself in three forms: bubonic, pneumonic, and septicemic.
There is another reason to collaborate in international surveillance of human melioidosis, since septicemic disease often occurs as a result of extreme weather events, some of which can be attributed to climate change.
The complete absence of heterophils on the day that this falcon was admitted suggests that this bird was bacteremic or even septicemic.
To our knowledge, this is the first case identifying potentially septicemic bacterial dissemination in an ancient Egyptian mummy.
Specific aspects of virulence phenotype, genetics, and circumstance that resulted in the notable absence of pneumonia or septicemic infection are the focus of further study.
In 1988, Chandna et al studied the blood of 50 septicemic newborns (5).
Pasteurella multocida causes an acute and septicemic form of hemorrhagic septicemia (HS) with high morbidity and mortality in buffalo and cattle (Anonymous, 1996; De-Alwis, 1999; Horadagoda et al.
fungal, parasitic, and bacterial infections resulting in toxic or septicemic shock, then ultimately death).
Prevalence of extended spectrum b lactamase producing Gram negative bacteria in septicemic neonates in a tertiary care hospital.
Among 913 cases with documented primary clinical form, 744 (82%) were bubonic, 74 (8%) pneumonic, 87 (10%) septicemic, 6 (1%) pharyngeal, and 2 (<1%) gastrointestinal.
Five (38%) patients had primary septicemic plague, and the remaining eight (62%) had bubonic plague.
63 TOTAL 200 100 63 100 Table 6: Neonatal Risk Factors for Neonatal Septicemia Risk Factors Number of septicemic neonates No % Low birth weight 107 53.