spermicide


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.

spermicide

any drug or other agent that kills spermatozoa
References in periodicals archive ?
13) Spermicides alter the normal vaginal flora and lead to increased colonization of E coli, which increases the risk for UTI.
Prescription-only barrier methods in the FDA guide include the diaphragm and the cervical cap, both used with spermicide.
1% Barrier Methods: Male Latex Condom(*) 14% Diaphragm(**) 5-20% Cervical Cap (no previous births)(**) 15% Cervical Cap (previous births)(**) 30% Female Condom 21% Sponge 18-28% Spermicide: (gel, foam, suppository, film) 26% Natural Methods: Withdrawal 18-20% Natural Family Planning (calendar, temperature, cervical mucus) 15-20% No Method 85% * used without spermicide ** used with spermicide
After all, condoms without spermicide reduce your chance of getting gonorrhea and chlamydia by almost 100%, reduce your risk of catching HIV by 87%, reduce your chance of getting HPV (the virus that causes cervical cancer and genital warts) by 70%, and reduce your chance of getting herpes by 30%.
Knowing that she and her boyfriend Derek have relied on condoms and spermicide, she wonders what other types of birth control she and Derek could be thinking about.
Hence the objective of this study was to isolate the protein from these extracts and to study its effects on sperm in vitro in comparison with nonoxynol-9, a known spermicide.
Neem extract: Neem extracts can be a good spermicide.
Conceptrol spermicide has a loyal customer base," Kaplan says, "but we're making it more relevant, fun and desirable for new generations of younger women.
Other people are allergic to the spermicide used in some condoms.
It made biologic sense that spermicide may not destroy all sperm and that a damaged sperm that fertilizes an egg could possibly cause congenital malformations.
If it's stored correctly (in a cool, dry place) a condom without any spermicide will probably last about five years from the date of manufacture.