tread(redirected from tread on toes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
1. the outer part of a tyre or wheel that makes contact with the road, esp the grooved surface of a pneumatic tyre
2. the part of a rail that wheels touch
3. Vet science an injury to a horse's foot caused by the opposite foot, or the foot of another horse
1. The horizontal upper surface of a step; includes the rounded edge or nosing which extends over the riser.See also: Step
2. The horizontal upper surface of a step; includes the rounded edge or nosing which extends over the riser.
The horizontal part of a step in a staircase.
The distance between two successive risers in a staircase.
The part of a wheel or tire that bears on the road or rail.