south(redirected from went south)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial.
1. one of the four cardinal points of the compass, at 180° from north and 90° clockwise from east and anticlockwise from west
2. the direction along a meridian towards the South Pole
3. the south any area lying in or towards the south
4. Cards the player or position at the table corresponding to south on the compass
5. (esp of the wind) from the south
1. the southern part of England, generally regarded as lying to the south of an imaginary line between the Wash and the Severn
2. in the US
a. the area approximately south of Pennsylvania and the Ohio River, esp those states south of the Mason-Dixon line that formed the Confederacy during the Civil War
b. the Confederacy itself
3. the countries of the world that are not economically and technically advanced
The direction 180° from north.