Conspiracy theorists argue that AIDS did not come out of Africa, but out of secret government laboratories that created this and other terrible weapons of biological warfare.
The Kenyan ecologist Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, took full advantage of the international attention that she received to state her claim that the AIDS virus was a deliberately created biological agent to be used in warfare. She disputed the theory that AIDS—acquired immunodeficiency syndrome—had come from monkeys, pointing out that Africans have been living around monkeys since time immemorial. But, she added, there was no disputing the somber fact that 25 million out of the 38 million infected with AIDS across the world are Africans, and the great majority of infected Africans are women.
The U.S. State Department congratulated Maathai on winning the Peace Prize but disagreed with her claims that the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) believed to cause AIDS was invented as a bioweapon in some laboratory in the West for the purpose of mass extermination. While one might expect such a response of the State Department, conspiracy theorists are quick to remind us that one of the prime objectives of the New World Order and its agents who work in the shadows behind every government on the planet is to decrease dramatically the earth’s population.
Credit for the discovery of the AIDS virus was settled by lawsuit in 1987 after Dr. Robert Gallo of the National Cancer Institute and Luc Montagnier of the Pasteur Institute in Paris both claimed to have isolated the virus sometime in 1984. The codiscoverers of the virus have never agreed about the origin of HIV or the birthplace of AIDS. Montagnier believed that the origin of the virus remains a mystery and that it was important to distinguish between its origins and the AIDS epidemic. Gallo, the more influential of the two scientists, insisted that the virus could have stemmed from a common viral ancestor found in animals and that it was passed to humans by monkeys. Gallo claimed that Ann Giudici Fettner, a freelance journalist who had lived in Africa, told him in 1983, a year before he discovered the virus, that AIDS came from green monkeys in central Africa. However, in her book The Truth about AIDS, Fettner never refers to green monkeys and emphasizes her opinion that AIDS began as an American disease. In spite of the paucity of scientific papers to substantiate Gallo’s green monkey theory, the explanation remained a favorite of the media and the public and circulated widely until the late 1990s when another group of American scientists claimed that they had discovered the origin of the virus in a species of chimpanzee.
A large number of conspiracy theorists have never bought the “out of Africa” and green monkey or chimp or goat explanation for the origin of AIDS. In 1979 the first gay men began to come down with “immunodeficiency disease.” For the first year of the epidemic, the victims were all young, predominantly white, previously in good health, well educated, promiscuous—and they all lived in Manhattan. By 1980 gay men in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, St. Louis, and Chicago had developed the disease. An official AIDS epidemic was declared in June 1981. AIDS was unknown in Africa before this time, and the epidemic did not begin there until late in 1982. In 1984 Gallo discovered the green monkeys in Africa that had been incubating the disease for centuries before the epidemic, and he became world-famous for his work.
But now a problem of timing raises its puzzling head. If the first recorded cases of AIDS were reported to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in 1979, are we to believe that all those gay men in Manhattan who contracted the illness had recently traveled to Africa and been bitten by green monkeys? Or could there be a correlation between government-sponsored hepatitis B experiments that began with gay men in Manhattan in New York City in 1978, the year before the outbreak of the HIV epidemic in 1979? Interestingly, similar hepatitis B experiments were sponsored by the government in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, St. Louis, and Chicago in 1980. Word was that the experimental vaccine injected into all those gay men had been developed in chimpanzees.
Early in the 1970s rumors had begun circulating about secret government research in bio warfare and about scientists who were conducting experiments in “species-jumping,” mixing viruses and seeding them into animal and human cell cultures. In 1971 President Richard Nixon combined the U.S. Army’s bio warfare department at Fort Detrick, Maryland, with the National Cancer Institute. Although the combination was explained to the public as part of the president’s “War on Cancer,” the program also united the army’s DNA and genetic engineering programs with anticancer research and molecular biology projects. In addition, cancer research programs conducted by private companies were blended into anticancer research projects of the CIA, the CDC, and the World Health Organization. As research progressed, dozens of new laboratory hybrids, recombinant and mutant viruses, were engineered, and a few scientists with social consciences began to warn others that some of the newly designed viruses could be extremely dangerous if released from the laboratory. Because of the efforts of a few whistle-blowers, word got out that government scientists had achieved a synthetic biological agent that did not exist naturally and for which no natural immunity could be acquired.
Knowledge of what had been achieved spread rapidly to other government researchers throughout the world. In 1973 the Danish pathologist Johannes Clemmesen warned that the transmissibility of such genetically altered viral agents could cause a world epidemic of cancer if they ever left the confines of the laboratory. Then, in 1979, his dire prophecy began to come to pass with the outbreak of AIDS in Manhattan among the gay population.
Although most individuals are content with Robert Gallo’s explanation that the AIDS epidemic is the result of a primate virus jumping species, conspiracy theorists have developed a number of their own explanations for AIDS/HIV. Here are some of the most persistent theories:
- Edward Hooper, author of The River: A Journey to the Source of HIV-AIDS, advances the theory that HIV evolved from SIV (simian immunodeficiency virus), found in the chimpanzee. Hooper outlines a scenario that has as its villain Dr. Hilary Koprowski, a virologist working for Philadelphia’s Wistar Research Institute, who in the early 1950s used a hastily brewed chimpanzee kidney culture to concoct a million doses of oral vaccine for a mass experimental polio vaccination program in the Belgian Congo. Koprowski’s urgency and haste in conducting the mass vaccination was fostered by the pharmaceutical company’s putting pressure on him to beat Dr. Salk and Dr. Sabin to the market with the first commercially available polio vaccine.
- The World Health Organization, controlled by the New World Order, created the AIDS epidemic by deliberately administering contaminated vaccines to people in third world countries in the 1970s. Africa was targeted first, in a smallpox eradication program, so that a link could be subsequently made that AIDS had originated in Africa.
- Sometime around 1977, U.S. military scientists bioengineered HIV at Fort Detrick by splicing the Visna and HTLV viruses. It was tested on prison inmates who volunteered to be injected with the virus in exchange for an early release. From these released prisoners, the virus spread to a wider segment of the population, especially to the gay community.
- The Soviet KGB created the viruses, then planted disinformation that the CIA was behind the spread of the disease.
- AIDS was the product of bio warfare research conducted by the U.S. government for the express purpose of eliminating excess population among blacks, homosexuals, and other social groups.
- Dr. Alan Cantwell (AIDS and the Doctors of Death: An Inquiry into the Origin of the AIDS Epidemic and Queer Blood: The Secret AIDS Genocide Plot) believes that HIV is a genetically modified virus that was introduced by U.S. government scientists into the gay and bisexual population under the guise of hepatitis B experiments between 1978 and 1981 in Manhattan, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Denver, and Chicago.
- Dr. Gary Glum (Full Disclosure) claims that he received top-secret intelligence that the AIDS virus was created at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in Cold Spring Harbor, New York. The World Health Organization and the Red Cross are complicit in the conspiracy to spread AIDS, which was released in 1978 as part of the overall population-control plan of the Illuminati and the New World Order. Glum warns that the virus is far more easily transmitted than medical reports have stated and can be spread through kissing, mosquito bites, and casual contact. Dr. Glum also maintains that Upjohn Pharmaceuticals has a number of medical cures for AIDS, but distribution of the substances has been suppressed by the government.
- Louis Farrakhan’s Nation of Islam and the New Black Panther Party have accused Jewish doctors of creating AIDS as a means of destroying black people throughout the world.
- Dr. Leonard G. Horowitz (Emerging Viruses: AIDS and Ebola—Nature, Accident, or Intentional? and Death in the Air: Globalism, Terrorism, and Toxic Warfare) theorizes that such U.S. government defense contractors as Litton Bionetics engineered AIDS to target Jews, blacks, and Hispanics as the first to be eliminated in a massive population-control program.