region(redirected from AN region)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. an area considered as a unit for geographical, functional, social, or cultural reasons
2. an administrative division of a country
3. (in Scotland from 1975 until 1996) any of the nine territorial divisions into which the mainland of Scotland was divided for purposes of local government; replaced in 1996 by council areas
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
(1) A territory identified by certain characteristics or peculiarities. In many cases, a taxonomic unit, as in physico-geographical region.
(2) In certain countries outside the USSR, an administrative and territorial unit, as in Paris region.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
A group of machine addresses which refer to a base address.
The union of an open connected set with a subset of its boundary points (which may be the entire boundary or the empty set).
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.