Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
The doctrine of the origin of our several domestic races from several aboriginal stocks, has been carried to an absurd extreme by some authors.
If the several breeds are not varieties, and have not proceeded from the rock-pigeon, they must have descended from at least seven or eight aboriginal stocks; for it is impossible to make the present domestic breeds by the crossing of any lesser number: how, for instance, could a pouter be produced by crossing two breeds unless one of the parent-stocks possessed the characteristic enormous crop?
Mauritius offers an apparent exception, where I saw the Rana Mascariensis in abundance: this frog is said now to inhabit the Seychelles, Madagascar, and Bourbon; but on the other hand, Du Bois, in his voyage in 1669, states that there were no reptiles in Bourbon except tortoises; and the Officier du Roi asserts that before 1768 it had been attempted, without success, to introduce frogs into Mauritius -- I presume for the purpose of eating: hence it may be well doubted whether this frog is an aboriginal of these islands.
There can be little doubt that this tortoise is an aboriginal inhabitant of the Galapagos; for it is found on all, or nearly all, the islands, even on some of the smaller ones where there is no water; had it been an imported species, this would hardly have been the case in a group which has been so little frequented.
That famous aboriginal push propagates itself through all the balls of the system, and through every atom of every ball; through all the races of creatures, and through the history and performances of every individual.
Aksis, Edmonton's Aboriginal business and professional association, is the only one of its kind in central Alberta.
Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra, 152pp, ISBN 9781922059543
Western Australian Aboriginal people are the most imprisoned people in the world.
By that time, I had observed that demonstrating an Aboriginal family connection is crucial among Aboriginal people in south-western Sydney: when Aboriginal people meet each other, they first ask their family names and their places of origin in a bid to determine if they share common knowledge of (at least) some Aboriginal families in said places of origin.
The Aboriginal advisory circle offers relevant advice, guides Indigenous curriculum and offers emergency funds and bursaries to Aboriginal students" said Dr.
Key words: Self-determination, culturally appropriate, Aboriginal control
Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Natalie Hutchins joined members of the Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation to announce a boost in funding for RAPs to continue their important work protecting local Aboriginal heritage.
Encyclopedia browser ?
- abnormal reflections
- abnormal series
- abnormal statement
- abnormal synclinorium
- abnormal time
- ABO blood group
- ABO blood group system
- Abo Peace Treaty of 1743
- Aboakyer Festival
- abohm centimeter
- abominable snowman
- abominable snowmen
- abomination of desolation
- Abonde, Dame
- Aboriginal Cattle
- abort branch
- abort drill
- abort zone
- Abort, Retry, Fail
- aborted firing
- aborted landing
- aborted start
- aborted takeoff
- Abortion in Animals
- abortion pill
- Abortive Infection
- abortive mission
- abortive transduction
- Abortiveness of Seeds
- Aboukir Bay
- Abourezk, James
Full browser ?
- Abonde, Dame
- Aboott & Costello
- Aboriginal Adult Basic Education
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development
- Aboriginal Affairs Branch
- Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act
- Aboriginal AIDS Service Organizations
- Aboriginal and Islander Career Aspirations Program
- Aboriginal and Islander Child Care Agency
- Aboriginal and Islander Community Health Service
- Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer
- Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal
- Aboriginal and Islander Independent Community School
- Aboriginal and Islander Medical Support Services
- Aboriginal and Islander Support Unit
- Aboriginal and Islander Teacher Education Program
- Aboriginal and Northern Climate Change Program
- Aboriginal and Northern Community Action Program
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts Board
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Policy
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Family Mediation Program
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workforce Working Group
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Housing
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Library Resource Network
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Performing Arts
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Program
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Services