Academy of Construction and Architecture of the Union of Soviet
Academy of Construction and Architecture of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
(ASiA SSSR), the highest scientific institution in the field of construction and architecture.
The academy, based on the Academy of Architecture of the USSR, was founded in Moscow in 1956 and operated until 1964. It worked on scientific problems with a view to promoting industrialization, reducing the time schedule and costs of construction, and improving its quality. The academy had 18 research institutes, scientific councils, the Museum of Architecture, the Central Scholarly Restoration Workshop, and the Leningrad, Urals, West Siberian, and Kazakh branches under its jurisdiction. In 1963 the academy had two honorary members, 67 members, and 105 corresponding members. In 1964 several scientific institutes of architecture were founded on the basis of the academy.
The presidents of the academy have been N. V. Bekhtin (1956–61) and V. A. Kucherenko (1961–64).