The Aphrodite worshiped on the Acrocorinth was Aphrodite Hoplismene (Armed), the defender of the city Images on coins, a wall fresco, and statuary remains depict Aphrodite looking at her reflection in the shield of Ares, affirming her image as the military protector of the city Other manifestations include Aphrodite Anadyomene (Rising from the Sea), referring to the story of Aphrodite's birth as a grown woman from the sea and connecting her with Poseidon and the sea in mercantile Corinth (Williams, "Corinth" 98).
Called holy ([TEXT NOT REPRODUCIBLE IN ASCII], semnos) in Euripedes' Medea (8), the fountain gained its reputation as a special place through myths involving the winged horse, Pegasus According to Strabo, the Peirene was connected via underground tunnels to a smaller fountain on the Acrocorinth, and Pegasus's hoof striking the ground on the Acrocorinth started the flow of both (Strabo, Geography 8.
The series publishes the results of the excavations made by the American School of Classical Studies in the Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore on Acrocorinth
Also excluded on grounds of uncertain deity was Acrocorinth
, which Pausanias (Jones 1931: 258) attributed to the Titan Helios; its later dedication was to Aphrodite, but the female temple statue bore weapons more like those of Athena.
Such a cult would not be surprising as shrines dedicated to the pair have been identified across the Isthmus, from Acrocorinth
in the west to the Rachi settlement and the Isthmian sanctuary in the east.
The ancient city of Corinth is spread out at the foot of the huge rock of Acrocorinth
Dionysodorus and Thoenias as well as Pratinas of Phlius, Scirtus and Dionysus all seem to point to that corner of the Peloponnesus which lies west of Acrocorinth
The Corinthians, with their imposing citadel of Acrocorinth, traditionally controlled the Isthmus, which runs from the city's western port of Lechaion to its eastern port at Kenchreai (Fig.
Oneion provide a natural defensive line from Kenchreai to Acrocorinth (Figs.
464, fabrics F and G) considered it a local fabric made from a mixture of clays found on the shoulder of Acrocorinth
Corinth: Two graves within the mined tower on the west side of Acrocorinth
(with Bologna- and Corinth-type buckles, respectively): Davidson 1937, pp.
These gates must also have been easily accessible to a road leading to Acrocorinth