Adams(redirected from Adams, Ansel (Easton))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Adams,town (1990 pop. 9,445), Berkshire co., NW Mass., in the Berkshires, on the Hoosic River; inc. 1778. Its manufactures include chemicals, textiles, and paper products. The Berkshire region attracts tourists year-round. A Society of Friends meeting house (built 1782) is the site of annual Quaker meetings. Susan B. AnthonyAnthony, Susan Brownell,
1820–1906, American reformer and leader of the woman-suffrage movement, b. Adams, Mass.; daughter of Daniel Anthony, Quaker abolitionist. From the age of 17, when she was a teacher in rural New York state, she agitated for equal pay for women
..... Click the link for more information. was born in Adams.
1. Gerry, full name Gerrard Adams. born 1948, Northern Ireland politician; president of Sinn Féin from 1983: negotiated the Irish Republican Army ceasefires in 1994--96 and 1997
2. Henry (Brooks). 1838--1918, US historian and writer. His works include Mont Saint Michel et Chartres (1913) and his autobiography The Education of Henry Adams (1918)
3. John. 1735--1826, second president of the US (1797--1801); US ambassador to Great Britain (1785--88); helped draft the Declaration of Independence (1776)
4. John Coolidge. born 1947, US composer; works include the operas Nixon in China (1987) and The Death of Klinghoffer (1991)
5. John Couch. 1819--92, British astronomer who deduced the existence and position of the planet Neptune
6. John Quincey. son of John Adams. 1767--1848, sixth president of the US (1825--29); secretary of state (1817--25)
7. Richard. born 1920, British author; his novels include Watership Down (1972), The Plague Dogs (1977), and Traveller (1988)
8. Samuel. 1722--1803, US revolutionary leader; one of the organizers of the Boston Tea Party; a signatory of the Declaration of Independence
a mountain in SW Washington, in the Cascade Range. Height: 3751 m (12 307 ft.)