Alba-Iulia

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Alba-Iulia

 

city in central Rumania, on the Mures River. Administrative center of the Alba-Iulia district. Population, 22,000 (1966). Alba-Iulia has wine-making, milling, and other branches of the food-processing industry; shoe production; metal-processing, wood-processing, and garment-making enterprises; and a fire-resistant-materials plant. It was the capital of the ancient state of the Dacians. It was an ancient Roman fortification. The Romanesque Cathedral of Saint Michael (13th century), the Renaissance Chapel of Latso (opened in 1512), and a baroque castle (first half of the 18th century) still stand.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
On December 24, 1918, King Ferdinand issued a decree consecrating the union of Transylvania with the Old Kingdom of Romania, and in 1922, the official coronation of the sovereign and Queen Mary took place in Alba-Iulia.
Feeric Fashion Week is an event co-financed by the Local Council of Sibiu through the Mayor's Office of Sibiu and is organized by the Mayor's Office of Alba-Iulia. This year's edition of Feeric Fashion Week is organized in partnership with Jidvei.