Aleksandr Illarionovich Efremov
Efremov, Aleksandr Illarionovich
Born Apr. 23, 1904, in Moscow; died there Nov. 23, 1951. Soviet state and party figure. Member of the CPSU from 1924.
Efremov was born into a worker’s family. In 1935 he graduated from the Moscow Machine-Tool and Instrument Institute and became foreman, shop superintendent, and director of the Sergo Ordzhonikidze Machine-Tool Plant. In 1938 and 1939 he was deputy chairman of the Moscow city soviet and chairman of the Moscow Oblast executive committee and the Moscow soviet. Efremov was first deputy people’s commissar of heavy-machine building of the USSR from 1939 to 1940, people’s commissar of heavy-machine building from 1940 to 1941, people’s commissar and minister of machine-tool building of the USSR from 1941 to 1949, and deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of the USSR from 1949. He was elected a member of the Central Committee of the ACP (Bolshevik) at the Eighteenth Party Congress. He was a deputy to the second and third convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR and a deputy to the first and second convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR. He was a member of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR from 1946. Efremov was awarded two Orders of Lenin, two other orders, and various medals. He is buried on Red Square at the Kremlin Wall.