Kibal’nikov, Aleksandr Pavlovich
Born Aug. 9 (22), 1912, in the village of Orekhovo, in present-day Volgograd Oblast. Soviet sculptor. People’s Artist of the USSR (1963); member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1954). Became a member of the CPSU in 1963.
Kibal’nikov was the chairman of the governing board of the Moscow section of the Artists’ Union of the RSFSR from 1963 to 1966. His works, which include monuments and portraits, are distinguished by psychological expressiveness. Kibal’nikov has done portraits of N. G. Chernyshevskii (bronze, 1948; State Prize of the USSR, 1949), J. V. Stalin (plaster of paris, 1950; State Prize of the USSR, 1951); V. V. Mayakovsky (bronze, 1954); and P. M. Tret’iakov (marble, 1962)—all are in the Tret’iakov Gallery. He created a monument to N. G. Chernyshevskii in Saratov (bronze and granite, unveiled in 1953), a monument to V. V. Mayakovsky in Moscow (bronze and granite, unveiled in 1958; Lenin Prize, 1959), and the memorial complex Brest Hero-fortress in Brest (with the sculptor A. O. Bembel’ and others, the architect V. A. Korol’ and others; concrete, stone, and metal; unveiled in 1971). Kibal’nikov has been awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor and several medals.