Aleksandrovskoe Central

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Aleksandrovskoe Central

 

the central penal servitude prison in the village of Aleksandrovskoe, located 76 km northwest of Irkutsk. Built in 1873, its first political prisoners were the Irkutsk Bolsheviks M. K. Vetoshkin, A. A. Shiriamov, and others in 1903–04 and, later on, participants in the 1905–07 Revolution. From 1889 on, Aleksandrovskoe Central had a prison for transient prisoners, through which passed V. K. Kurnatovskii, A. A. Kostiushko-Valiuzhanich, and others imprisoned for the Yakutsk Protest of 1904, F. E. Dzerzhinskii (1902), F. A. Artem (1910), M. V. Frunze (1914), and G. K. Ordzhonikidze (1915–16). In 1918–19, one of Kolchak’s concentration camps was located in Aleksandrovskoe Central; it was seized by the partisans in January 1920.

REFERENCE

Kudriavtsev, F. Aleksandrovskii tsentral. Irkutsk, 1936.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?
Full browser ?