Alessandria(redirected from Alessandria della Paglia)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Alessandria (älās-sänˈdrēä), city, capital of Alessandria prov., in Piedmont, NW Italy, at the confluence of the Tanaro and Bormida rivers. It is an industrial center and agricultural market. Manufactures include wine, furniture, machinery, paper, and hats. Alessandria was built (1164–67) as a stronghold of the Lombard League and was named for Pope Alexander III. At first a free commune, the city passed in 1348 to the duchy of Milan and, in 1707, to the duke of Savoy. Alessandria was the scene of a pro-Mazzini conspiracy in 1833. There are two 13th-century churches and remains of the city's medieval fortifications.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
a town in NW Italy, in Piedmont. Pop.: 85 438 (2001)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005