All-Russian Main Staff

All-Russian Main Staff

 

one of the main bodies of the People’s Commissariat for Military Affairs of the Soviet Republic in 1918-21. It was instituted on May 8, 1918, to replace the All-Russian Collegium on the Formation of the Red Army, the Main Administration of the General Staff, the Main Staff, the Main Commissariat of Military Educational Institutions, and other agencies. The All-Russian Main Staff was headed by a council composed of a chief and two military commissars.

The All-Russian Main Staff was charged with registering persons subject to military service, organizing military training of the working masses, forming and billeting Red Army units, and working out measures for the defense of the Republic; it had corresponding administrations to carry out the above functions. The Academy of the General Staff (later the Military Academy of the RKKA [Workers’ and Peasants’ Red Army]) was also subordinate to the All-Russian Main Staff. The All-Russian Main Staff was at first subordinate to the collegium of the People’s Commissariat for War; on Sept. 6, 1918, it was made subordinate to the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic. On Feb. 10, 1921, the Ail-Russian Main Staff was merged with the Field Staff of the Republic, which was in charge of combat operations, into the single Staff of the RKKA.

Full browser ?