Alma-Ata Medical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Alma-Ata Medical Institute

 

trains doctors and pharmacists. Founded in 1931. In 1969 the institute had four departments: therapy, pediatrics, stomatology, and pharmacology. From 1944 to 1964 it had a department of sanitation. There are 59 subdepartments of theoretical and clinical medicine, a central research laboratory, an anatomy museum, a stomatology polyclinic, and so forth. The library has more than 400,000 volumes. On Jan. 1, 1969, the institute had 5,400 students, 110 graduate students and interns, and 570 instructors and scientific personnel, including 33 professors and doctors of science and 219 docents and candidates of science. The institute is entitled to confer candidate’s and the doctor’s degrees in medicine. It publishes Nauchnye izvestiia (News in Science; from 1935) and educational literature.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.