city, center of Al’met’evsk Raion, Tatar ASSR. It is located on the left bank of the Zai River (tributary of the Kama), 18 km northeast of the Minnibaevo railroad station (a branch of the Ul’ianovsk-Ufa line). Highways link it with Chistopol’, Bugul’ma, and other cities. The population is 77,000 (1969); it was 49,000 in 1959.
One of the youngest cities of Tataria, Al’met’evsk was founded in 1950 as a settlement of the petroleum industry and became a city in 1953. It is a major center of the petroleum industry of the Tatar ASSR. The industry of the city includes oil and gas extraction and plants for gas and benzine production, tire repair, motor vehicle and tractor repair, fabrication of reinforced concrete structures, woodworking, brickmaking, and others. The Friendship Oil Pipeline starts in Al’met’evsk, as do pipelines to Gorky, Perm’, Kuibyshev, and Subkhankulovo. The city has an evening faculty of the Moscow Institute of the Petrochemical and Gas Industry, four specialized secondary educational institutions, and a drama theater.