almshouse

(redirected from Alms house)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical.

almshouse

Brit History a privately supported house offering accommodation to the aged or needy

almshouse

1. A building in which charity was distributed to the poor; found in England and in some early American settlements and cities; also see poorhouse.
2. An almonry.
References in periodicals archive ?
Nasser Fouad secretary-general of Egypt's Zakat and Alms House, Egyptian Assistant Health Minister Dr.
The public park is framed by Georgian alms houses and Quayside warehouses.
Burns found "a truancy law straight out of `Oliver Twist'" passed in 1879, by which any "miscreant would be sent to the Monson Alms House," or some other place of "confinement, instruction, and discipline.
The disabled and elderly residents in the Widows Alms House on Nicholas Street complained of sleepless nights because of rowdy revellers.
Before that, the 17th century building was used as an alms house for wounded soldiers returning from World War One.
Also named in the report was the St John's Hospital Trust, which runs an alms house in Lichfield, the Abbeyfield Society Ltd, which runs sheltered housing in Worcester, the Warwickshire Masonic Charitable Association and the Hereford Society for Aiding the Industrious.
They range from alms house style bungalows, built around a courtyard garden, priced from pounds 75,995 for two bedrooms, to large, detached family homes.
Another star attraction may be a substantial Victorian Grade II listed Alms House property in Handsworth which provided supervised units for older couples and singles until recently.
DIANE Stead of Kings Heath's great-great-great-grandfather died from "Decay of Nature" in 1868 at Hosyer's Alms House in Ludlow.
Instead, a 24-hour rank will be installed in Greyfriars Lane, running past the Fords Alms House up to Natwest in High Street.
Now we are told that to replace the railings around the alms house in Maryvale Road would be an insult to the memory of the people who dedicated them for the war effort and we should have a plaque instead.
They stood in the Holy Jesus Hospital next to the Swan House roundabout from 1882 when it was an alms house until 1937.