Also found in: Wikipedia.
Altötting(ält-öttĭng), town (1994 pop. 12,060), Upper Bavaria, Bavaria, S Germany, near the Inn River and the Austrian border, 42 mi (68 km) SW of PassauPassau
, city (1994 pop. 51,041), Bavaria, SE Germany, at the confluence of the Danube, Inn, and Ilz rivers, near the border with Austria. It is a river port, rail junction, and industrial center; manufactures include beer, textiles, optical equipment, and tobacco.
..... Click the link for more information. . The town is a Roman Catholic pilgrimage center. The Chapel of Mercy (or Chapel of Grace) dates to A.D. 700 and contains a medieval wooden statue of the Virgin Mary, known as the Black Madonna because it has become discolored by candle smoke. The late Romanesque church there contains the tomb of Count TillyTilly, Johannes Tserklaes, count of
, 1559–1632, general in Bavarian and later imperial service during the Thirty Years War. A younger son of a noble family of Brabant, he served under Duke Alessandro Farnese and against the Turks before entering the service of Duke
..... Click the link for more information. .
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/