alto(redirected from Altas)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms.
alto,singing voice the range of which is lower than the soprano by the interval of a fifth. More generally, the term refers to the register in which this voice sings, i.e., the second highest part in a four-part musical texture, and to instruments utilizing this register. See countertenorcountertenor,
a male singing voice in the alto range. Singing in this range requires either a special vocal technique called falsetto, or a high extension of the tenor range.
..... Click the link for more information. .
The negative which is electrodeposited during the preparation of plates for printing currency.
1. the highest adult male voice; countertenor
2. (in choral singing) a shortened form of contralto
3. a singer with such a voice
4. another name for viola
5. a flute, saxophone, etc., that is the third or fourth highest instrument in its group
6. denoting a flute, saxophone, etc., that is the third or fourth highest instrument in its group
Alto(1) A Web-based e-mail client from AOL that organizes incoming messages into attractive folders. Launched in beta in 2012, Alto works with AOL mail as well as other e-mail accounts.
(2) The desktop computer from Xerox that pioneered the mouse/icon/desktop environment. Developed at the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), it was the progenitor of Xerox's Star and Apple's Lisa and Mac. Designed in 1973 with built-in Ethernet, it had 128K of RAM, a 608x808 screen and a 2.5MB removable hard disk. About 1,000 Altos were in use by 1979. See PARC.
|The first graphical user interface created for business purposes was working more than 10 years before the Macintosh was introduced. (Image courtesy of Palo Alto Research Center.)|