Amberd

(redirected from Amberd Fortress)
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Amberd

 

a medieval Armenian fortress (seventh-13th centuries) in Ashtarak Raion, Armenian SSR.

Amberd is located on a promontory between the deep canyons of the Amberd and Arkhashan rivers. Ruins remain of the mighty turreted fortress walls, the three-storied princely palace, the church with its cross-shaped cupola (1026), the baths, which were heated from beneath the floor, two cisterns, and water pipes.

REFERENCE

Artiunian, V. M., and S. A. Safarian. Pamiatniki armianskogo zodchestva. Moscow, 1951. Pages 51–52.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.