Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
(before 1920, Novo-Mariinsk), a city (before 1965, a settlement) and administrative center of the Chukchi National Okrug in Magadan Oblast, RSFSR. The city’s location on the shore of Anadyr’ Gulf and the Bering Sea permits direct sea routes between Anadyr’ and Petropa-vlovsk (Kamchatka), Vladivostok, Magadan, and various settled points in the Chukchi National Okrug. There are also air routes between Anadyr’ and Moscow, Khabarovsk, and Magadan. The population was 12,000 in 1967. Industry consists of a fish hatchery and coal mining. There is a pedagogical school, a museum of local lore, and a television center.
a river in the Chukchi National Okrug, Magadan Oblast, RSFSR. Its length is 1,150 km, and the area of its basin is 191,000 sq km. It rises in the central part of the Anadyr’ Plateau. At first it flows south; after entering the lowland, it flows mainly east but changes its direction several times, winding around mountain ranges; it drains into the Onemen Bay of the Anadyr’ Gulf (Bering Sea). In the upper reaches the valley is narrow. In the middle and lower reaches it is a typical lowland river: at times there is no well-formed valley, and at other times the river breaks up into several branches. It is 6–7 km wide at the mouth. The main tributaries are the Iablon, Eropol, and Main on the right and Chineiveem, Belaia, and Taniurer on the left. It is fed by snow and rain. The annual rate of flow from an area of 106,000 sq km (254 km from the mouth) is about 1,000 cu m/sec. The river freezes in middle or late October and often in September in the upper reaches; the ice melts in late May or early June. The river is navigable for small vessels up to the village of Markovo (570 km) and a little higher at times of high water. There is fishing in the lower reaches and coal extraction in the basin.
In 1648 the explorer S. I. Dezhnev reached the mouth of the Anadyr’ and erected a winter headquarters, which later became the Anadyr’ jail; in the 18th century Dm. Laptev reached the Anadyr’ and left a description of it.