Anatolii Vladimirovich Dobrovolskii
Dobrovol’skii, Anatolii Vladimirovich
Born May 6(19), 1910, in the village of Buki, in present-day Malin Raion, Zhitomir Oblast. Soviet architect; Honored Builder of the Ukrainian SSR (1966). Member of the CPSU from 1950.
Dobrovol’skii, a graduate of the Kiev Civil Engineering Institute (1934), was chief architect of Kiev from 1950 to 1955 and a professor at the Kiev Institute of Art from 1965. His projects in Kiev (done in collaboration with others) include a residential house for the workers of the Bolshevik Plant (1949), a construction plan for Kreshchatik (1945-47, construction began in 1947; USSR State Prize for introducing decorative ceramics into construction, 1950), a dormitory for a school of mining (1950; State Prize of the USSR, 1951), subway stations of the Kreshchatik (with a restaurant; 1960-61), the Bolshevik Plant (1963), the Hotel Moskva (1961-62), and the Ukraine Movie Theater (1963). Dobrovol’skii also built the airport in Borispol (1964-66, in collaboration with others). He was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor and medals.