Stuchenko, Andrei Trofimovich
Born Oct. 17 (30), 1904, in Kiev; died Nov. 18, 1972, in Moscow. Soviet military commander; general of the army (1964). Member of the CPSU from 1929.
The son of a worker, Stuchenko entered the Soviet Army in 1921. He completed cavalry courses in 1923 and graduated from a cavalry school in 1926. In 1939 he graduated from the M. V. Frunze Military Academy. He completed higher academic courses at the Military Academy of the General Staff in 1952.
During the Great Patriotic War (1941–45), Stuchenko commanded a cavalry regiment and cavalry and infantry divisions, taking command of the XIX Guards Infantry Corps in August 1944. He fought on the Western, Second Baltic, and Leningrad fronts. After the war he commanded forces of the Northern Military District from 1956 to 1960, the Volga Military District in 1960 and 1961, and the Transcaucasian Military District from 1961 to 1968. He was director of the M. V. Frunze Military Academy in 1968 and 1969 and became military inspector and adviser of the Group of Inspectors General in March 1969.
Stuchenko was a deputy to the sixth and seventh convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR and a candidate member of the Central Committee of the CPSU from 1961 to 1971. He was awarded two Orders of Lenin, four Orders of the Red Banner, the Order of Suvorov Second Class, the Order of Kutuzov Second Class, and the Order of the Patriotic War First Class, as well as various medals.