(redirected from Anticonvulsants)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to Anticonvulsants: Benzodiazepines


An agent, such as Dilantin, that prevents or arrests a convulsion.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.



one of a group of medicinal preparations having different chemical compositions and capable of preventing or relieving convulsions. Anticonvulsants include a number of substances that act as hypnotics and sedatives, for instance, bromides, chloral hydrate, magnesium sulfate, and phenobarbital. Other substances are selectively anticonvulsant, for example, diphenin, Hexamidine (lepsiral), Trimethin (epidione), and chloracon. Anticonvulsants are used mainly in treating epilepsy.


Mashkovskii, M. D. Lekarstvennye sredstva, 7th ed., part 1. Moscow, 1972.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Anticonvulsant, sedative and muscle relaxant effects of carbenoxolone in mice.
Jiang, "Synthesis and anticonvulsant activity of 8-alkoxy-5,6-dihydro-4H-[1,2,4] triazolo[4,3-a][1]benzazepin-1-one derivatives," European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol.
They displayed a considerable safety profile in scPTZ induced seizure also indicative of the efficiency of both the compounds as broad spectrum anticonvulsants.
The association among anticonvulsants, decreased bone mineral density, and increased risk of fracture is well-established in the literature.
Bis-Schiff bases derivatives possess miscellaneous pharmacological activities such as anticancer [1], antifungal, herbicidal activities [2,3], and antibacterial [4], while Schiff bases of various heterocycles were reported to possess cytotoxic [5], antiproliferative [6], anticonvulsant [7], and anticancer activities [8].
In the analysis of the anticonvulsants by the underlying cause of overdose; among the patients who ingested carbamazepine, the overdose was intentional in 75% (n=21), and unintentional in 21.4% (n=6), while these rates were 95.0% (n=19) and 5.0% (n=1) for valproic acid and 35.7% (n=5) and 64.3% (n=9) for phenytoin respectively.
Anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome associated with carbamazepine administration: case series.
Anticonvulsants (80%) formed the major drug group causative for DHS in this study with the rest 20% being caused by dapsone.
-- Black box warnings on antipsychotics led to a decrease in their use to treat patients with dementia, without a commensurate increase in use of antianxiety or other psychotropic agents but with a rise in the use of anticonvulsant therapies, some of which appear to be riskier than the antipsychotics in older patients.
Arylsemicarbazones featuring the general structural skeleton III (Figure 1) have been recognized as a promising pharmacophore for anticonvulsants and a sizable number of arylsemicarbazone derivatives showed anticonvulsant activity [10,11].
([1,7]) However, despite extensive research on new anticonvulsants, no full treatment has yet been found for epilepsy.
Most people who have bipolar disorder take more than one medication including, along with lithium and/or an anticonvulsant, a medication for accompanying agitation, anxiety, depression, or insomnia.