Anzhero-Sudzhensk


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Anzhero-Sudzhensk

(ənzhĕ'rə–so͞o`jĕnsk), city (1989 pop. 108,000), SW Siberian Russia, on the Trans-Siberian RR. One of the oldest and largest coal-mining centers of the Kuznetsk Basin, the city was developed as a source of coal for the railroad. Mining equipment, window glass, and pharmaceuticals are manufactured there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Anzhero-Sudzhensk

 

a city under oblast jurisdiction in Kemerovo Oblast, RSFSR. With a population of 114,000 in 1969 (in 1939, 69,000), it has the Anzherskaia railway station on the Taiga-Achinsk line. The city sprang up in 1897 in connection with the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway and the commencement of coal mining. One of the major coal industrial centers in the Kuznetsk Coal Basin, Anzhero-Sudzhensk has factories producing mining equipment, glass, and chemicals and pharmaceuticals, a railroad car repair factory, and other factories. Its educational institutions include mining and chemical technology technicums and medical and pedagogical schools.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
In Anzhero-Sudzhensk, arriving oil is split into two flows: westbound toward Omsk, and eastbound along the Krasnoyarsk-Angarsk/ Irkutsk route.