Art Institute of the Estonian SSR

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Art Institute of the Estonian SSR

 

a higher educational institution of art in Tallinn, founded in 1951 after the unification of the Tallinn and Tartu art institutes. As of 1978, the institute had two departments: the department of representational and applied arts and the department of architecture, which has an evening division. The institute has 16 subdepartments.

Subjects taught in the institute include sculpture, graphic art, painting, decorative applied arts, artistic design for textile manufacture and other branches of light industry, architecture, interior decorating and planning, and industrial arts.

In the 1977–78 academic year the institute had approximately 500 students, and the teaching staff numbered 115, including 18 professors and doctors of sciences and 42 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute has trained approximately 1,500 specialists.

IA. IA. VARES

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Full browser ?