Asian Tsunami 2004
Asian Tsunami 2004
Conspiracy theorists soon saw everything from a secret military operation to aliens correcting the Earth’s rotation as a cause for the tragic tsunami.
Early in the morning of December 26, 2004, a 9.3 earthquake shuddered the ocean floor off northwestern Sumatra, forcing billions of tons of seawater upward. Giant waves rolled toward the beaches of Sumatra, Thailand, and Sri Lanka, cascading downward on thousands of unsuspecting villagers, holiday celebrants, and foreign tourists. The massive tsunami claimed perhaps 300,000 lives and continued its destructive course until it spent the last of its energy on the beaches of Kenya.
Only a few days after the terrible catastrophe occurred, conspiracy theorists around the world were busy debunking the scientists’ explanations of a natural disaster. An act of God was out of the question, these individuals argued: this was a deliberate act of cruel men. Among the most prevalent theories were the following:
- The U.S. military had secretly been testing a deadly ecoweapon whose electromagnetic waves caused havoc with the environment and triggered the earthquake that spawned the tsunami.
- One of the superpowers had tested an underwater nuclear device that proved more powerful than anticipated.
- The U.S. military and State Department had received advanced warning of the impending tsunami, but they did nothing to alert the Asian countries.
- All of the government agencies of the world knew of the coming monster tsunami but did nothing to alert the victims in its path in order to comply with the New World Order’s plan to decrease planetary population.
- Benevolent aliens had noticed that the rotation of the earth had become irregular and wobbly and sought to correct its orbit. Scientists in India confirmed that the planet’s rotation had become more stabilized after the tsunami.