Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
(110.) dasra "giving miraculous aid" is a frequent attribute of the Asvins (e.g., RV VIII 86,1).
(27) What the Vedic text is telling us therefore is that the Asvins went to the ends of the earth or to heaven, where their horses got wet in the waters of some mythical stream, (28) and as the result of this adventure Surya.
It is also a real stretch to equate Chinese Wusun, name of a mounted nomadic people, with Sanskrit asvin which Beckwith gives as '"the horsemen', the name of twin equestrian gods" (p.
There is a comparable image in RV 10.40, in which Ghosa pleads with the Asvins to win her a man who will marry her and give her children (cf.
IV.52.3 uta sakhasy asvinor / uta mata gavam asi / utoso vasva isise And thou art a friend of the Asvins, and thou art mother of the cows; and thou art mistress of good, O dawn.
O Sura, let the lotus-garlanded Asvins make you tasty.
We have seen that the female member of the early Vaisnava trio (Krsna's sister Subhadra, Rama's wife Sita) seems to continue the Goddess of Dawn (Surya / Savitri) in the trio that she forms with the two Asvins. Not only Savitri but this entire earlier trio appears to have been worshipped in the Madra country, because Nakula (clever like Krsna) and Sahadeva (whose name is a synonym of Baladeva), the Pandavas sired by the Asvins, had Madri as their mother.
(13.) Epithet of Indra 3x (1.61.1, 6.45.20, 8.70.1); epithet of Agni 3x (3.21.4, 5.10.1, 8.60.17); epithet of the Asvins 2x (5.73.2, 8.22.11); epithet of the Maruts 1x (1.64.3); epithet of Soma 1x (9.98.5).
The answer is found at the opening of the hymn, where each pada begins with pratar in the invocation of Agni, Indra, Mitra-Varuna, the Asvins, Bhaga, etc.
The gharma is the clay pot that is heated on a fire, filled with milk, and then poured out in offering (mixed cow's and goat's milk for the Asvins, and then curds for Indra) during the Pravargya rite.
8, which corresponds to 1.164.27) after the offering to Indra and before the one to the Asvins (episode D).
The Asvins are addressed as kavi gambhiracetasa "poets of deep thought" in 8.8.2d.
Encyclopedia browser ?
- Astrophysics Data System
- Astrophysics Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Tadzhik
- Asturian Culture
- Asturian orogeny
- Asturias, Miguel Ángel
- Astyrev, Nikolai
- Astyrev, Nikolai Mikhailovich
- Asukata Ichio
- Aswan Dams
- Aswan High Dam
- Asylum, Right of
- asymmetric airfoil
- asymmetric carbon atom
- asymmetric cell division
- asymmetric cipher
- asymmetric compression
- asymmetric cryptography
- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line
- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Loop
- asymmetric lift
- asymmetric loading
- asymmetric modem
- Asymmetric Molecule
- asymmetric propeller loading
- asymmetric rotor
- asymmetric synthesis
- asymmetric system
- asymmetric top
Full browser ?
- ASW Aircraft Carrier
- ASW Aircraft Resources Utilization Study
- ASW Combat System
- ASW Data segment
- ASW Environmental Acoustic Support
- ASW Evaluator
- ASW Operations Centers Communication
- ASW Program/Performance-Surveillance
- ASW Support Communications Modules of the Tactical Support Center
- ASW System Support Facility
- ASW Systems Engineering Development Site
- ASW Tactical Decision Aid
- ASW Tactical Support System
- ASW Test Requirements Outline