Avacha Bay


Also found in: Wikipedia.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Avacha Bay

 

an inlet of the Pacific Ocean on the southeast coast of Kamchatka Peninsula. It is 24 km long, 3 km wide at its entrance, and reaches a depth of 26 m. Well protected by mountain ranges, its shores are steep. It receives the Avacha River. The port and city of Petropavlovsk’-Kamchatskii is on the bay’s north shore.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
The two ships sailed around Cape Lopatka, the southern tip of Kamchatka, to Avachinskaya Guba (Avacha Bay), where the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy now stands, and after wintering there, the two ships put to sea again on 4 June 1741.
The latter vessel soon went aground on the bar at Okhotsk, but the Slava Rossii set sail in September 1789 and reached Petropavlovsk on Avacha Bay, on the east coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula, where the party overwintered.