of arbitrary detention charges last Oct.
Jr, a prime suspect in the enforced disappearance of farmer rights activist Jonas Burgos, surrendered to a Manila court for his alleged role in Burgos' abduction in April 2007.
Pooten and Vice Mayor Alejandro Baliaga
after the flag-raising activity last Monday.
Jr, formerly with the Army's 56th IB as responsible for the disappearance of the young Burgos.
, the only person to be put on trial for the abduction, which the Burgoses suspected to have been masterminded by the military to silence Jonas, a farmer-activist.
3, 2013, the Department of Justice recommended that only Baliaga
be indicted for arbitrary detention.
The only circumstantial evidence was the discovery of a vehicle-said to have been used to abduct Burgos-at the 5th Infantry Battalion Camp in Norzagaray, Bulacan province, where Baliaga
was previously assigned.
Part of the verdict said the prosecution 'failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt the identity of accused Harry Baliaga
Ruiz II, QCRTC Branch 216 absolved Philippine Army Major Harry Baliaga
The Commission on Human Rights and the Court of Appeals have since held the military responsible for Jonas' disappearance, and named Baliaga
as the individual behind it.
Based on the CHR's findings, Burgos' mother filed a criminal case against Baliaga
, Ano and other officers in 2011.
was then a first lieutenant in the 56th Infantry Battalion in Bulacan.