Baltic State Regional Power Plant

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Baltic State Regional Power Plant

 

a large steam electric power plant located near the city of Narva in the Estonian SSR. Construction was begun in 1956. The plant started operating in 1959, and the last unit went on-line in 1965. The design capacity of 1,624 megawatts (MW) is generated by 12 turbine units, eight of which produce 100 MW each, four 200 MW each, and two 12 MW each. Water is supplied by direct flow from the reservoir of the Narva Hydroelectric Power Plant. Shale from deposits in Estonia is used as fuel. The Baltic State Regional Power Plant is part of the northeast unified power grid. Electric power is transmitted by lines that carry 110, 220, and 300 kilovolts.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Full browser ?