Belgrade, University of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Belgrade, University of

 

the largest institution of higher learning in Yugoslavia. It was founded in Belgrade in 1863 as a college with three faculties: philosophy, jurisprudence, and engineering. The university was accredited in 1905, when it consisted of nine faculties and one college. In 1954 it was reorganized in accordance with the law on higher education that was passed that year, and new faculties were established in Belgrade and other faculties opened in other cities of the country.

In the 1968–69 academic year there were 24 faculties at the University of Belgrade. Eighteen faculties (architecture, veterinary medicine, mining and geology, pure mathematics, urban engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, forestry, medicine, agriculture, stomatology, technology, transport, pharmacy, philology, philosophy, economics, and law) and the Higher School of Physical Culture were in Belgrade. The remaining faculties are located in other cities: a mining and metallurgy faculty in the city of Bor; engineering, philosophy, law, and economics faculties at Priŝtina; and engineering and economics faculties at Tito-grad.

In the 1968–69 academic year more than 43,000 students were enrolled at the university, with approximately 3,000 instructors. The Svetozar Marković Library at the university (founded in 1919) had over 500,000 volumes in 1969.

V. Z. KLEPIKOV

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.