Beloozero

Beloozero

 

ancient Russian city on the right bank of the Sheksna River, located near Lake Beloe, the river’s source.

The city is mentioned in a chronicle under the year 862. The original inhabitants of Beloozero were members of the Ves’ tribe. During the tenth and 11th centuries Beloozero was drawn into the orbits of Novgorod and Kiev; in the 12th century it was connected with the territory of Rostov-Suzdal’. Beginning in 1238 it was the center of the Beloozero Principality and became a major trading and crafts center. Excavations by L. A. Golubeva during the years 1949–52 and 1957–65 have revealed a settlement inhabited by the Ves’ in the ninth and tenth centuries, which preceded Beloozero. Also discovered were urban structures dating from the 11th through the 13th centuries, such as street pavements, house foundations, administrative buildings, and the workshops of craftsmen. Examples have been discovered of artistic carving on bone, stone, and wood, drawings done on birchbark, weights for spindles, amphorae with individual letters and inscriptions, and imported products. At the end of the 14th century the town was moved 17 km to the west, to the site of present-day Belozersk.

REFERENCE

Golubeva, L. A. “Raskopki drevnego Beloozera v 1961–62 gg.” In the collection Kratkie soobshcheniia o dokladakh i polevykh issledovaniiakh In-ta arkheologii, issue 110. Moscow, 1967.

L. A. GOLUBEVA

References in periodicals archive ?
14) It has been associated with Smolensk, Novgorod, Tver', and Beloozero.
The tsar and the most important boyars actively participated in these events that celebrated the powerful acts of saintly figures from various monasteries, such as the Sergius Trinity, Solovetskii, and the Kiril Beloozero.
Ivan's 18 February 1566 charter informed Druzhina Neforev in Beloozero that he had received a petition from the Kirillo-Beloozero Monastery stating that the monastery previously received grain from Vologda District.
On 28 November 1566, Ivan issued a charter to Beloozero urban administrator (gorodovoi prikazchik) Matvei Grigor'ev syn Bukharin, who collected taxes from a hamlet that the Kirillo-Beloozero Monastery had received in exchange for a property taken into the oprichnina.
Found by Vladislav Nazarov, a letter of the town governor (voevoda) of Beloozero with a report on the election of representatives to the Sobor, referring to the fall of 1619, complains about difficulties to choose the representatives of provincial nobility elected by corporations, settled at Beloozero, because they were absent from their estates, and only one representative from Smolensk corporation went to the Sober (11).
Kollmann's principal data base is homicide and serious felony cases from two regions: Beloozero in the north and Arzamas in the Middle Volga.
However, the secretary of the Military Service Chancellery--Vasilii Shchelkalov, during Fletcher's visit to Moscow--was at the same time secretary for the fourth tax district, in charge of collecting taxes from such rich northern cities as Beloozero, Vologda, Galich, Sol' Vychegodskaia, Charanda, and Iaroslavl'.
Prestigious elite monasteries, like the Chudov in the Kremlin and the Kirillov at Beloozero, established formal commemorations of the victims similar to those of major donors.
But before he did so, he published monograph-length chapters on Kirillov's physical structures (chapter 2) and economy (chapter 1), and, in three journal installments, four-fifths of chapter 4 on the Beloozero cloister's communal and cell life, as well as some specific and general materials which might have served as the base for an eventual chapter 6 on its bookcraft (knizhnost').
111) But Novgorod suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Vasilii II in 1456 and signed a humiliating peace at Iazhelbitsii that required Novgorodian boyars to cede land grants from the princes of Rostov and Beloozero to the grand prince.