district(redirected from Bezirke)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
1. a locality separated by geographical attributes; region
2. (in England from 1974 and in Wales 1974--96) any of the subdivisions of the nonmetropolitan counties that elects a council responsible for local planning, housing, rates, etc.
3. (in Scotland until 1975) a landward division of a county
4. (in Scotland 1975--96) any of the subdivisions of the regions that elected a council responsible for environmental health services, housing, etc.
5. any of the 26 areas into which Northern Ireland has been divided since 1973. Elected district councils are responsible for environmental health services, etc.
A geographically definable urban or rural area with a concentration of sites, structures, or uses that are connected historically or esthetically by plan or development.