Bishops Schools

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Bishops’ Schools

 

class institutions of primary and secondary education for children of the clergy, which began in Russia in 1721 and were located in bishops’ houses (church administration buildings). The course of study consisted of religion, reading, writing, and in some schools also arithmetic, Latin, Greek, Old Church Slavonic, and Hebrew. After 1737 the bishops’ schools were gradually turned into seminaries.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Marie Collins, a commission member and survivor of clerical abuse, is speaking at these "new bishops schools."