blackcurrant

(redirected from Blackcurrants)
Also found in: Dictionary.

blackcurrant

1. a N temperate shrub, Ribes nigrum, having red or white flowers and small edible black berries: family Grossulariaceae
2. 
a. the fruit of this shrub
b. (as modifier): #5blackcurrant jelly
References in periodicals archive ?
People aren't using blackcurrants in food in the way that they used to.
Blackcurrant growers in the UK produce 13-15,000 tonnes a year of fruit but only a small quantity (about 5%) of the crop is sold as whole fruit--the remaining 95% is used to produce Ribena.
Fold in the blackcurrants and spread over the cake.
Growers say blackcurrants contain even more nutrients than blueberries but have become the 'forgotten fruit' of the fresh produce aisle.
Most contain good amounts of fibre while plums, peaches, blackcurrants, cherries and berries are packed with pectin, which helps lower cholesterol.
2, Meanwhile, soak the rest of the blackcurrants in the rum and caster sugar.
Dry, tart flavour with the blackberries and blackcurrants coming through.
The reason being that almost 95% of the UK crop of blackcurrants goes straight to the Ribena factory.
In 100g of blackcurrants you get 100% of your recommended daily intake of vits C and K.
You can also pick gooseberries, strawberries (more than one variety), raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and tayberries.
INGREDIENTS For the blackcurrant layer: 250g blackcurrants A squeeze of lemon juice Up to 100g caster sugar 50ml water For the chocolate layer: 25g cocoa powder 50g caster sugar 100ml water For the cream/yoghurt layer: 200ml double cream 200ml plain full-fat yoghurt 2tbsp caster sugar To finish: 50g skinned hazelnuts 1tbsp Demerara sugar METHOD 1.