Bolnisi Sion

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Bolnisi Sion

 

a church built in the years 478–493 (70 km from Tbilisi, near the village of Bolnisi), the most important example of Georgian basilicas of the early Middle Ages.

The majestic interior is divided by two rows of pillars spanned by horseshoe-shaped arches. It has three naves covered by a gable roof. The capitals are carved with geometric designs and representations of plants and animals. On the south the church is flanked by a two-apse structure and an open portico, and on the north, by an open gallery. Next to Bolnisi Sion stands a 17th-century belfry.

REFERENCE

Chubinashvili, G. N. “Bolnisskii Sion.” Izv. In-ta iazyka, istorii material’noi kul’tury, 1940, vol. 9.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.