1. something resembling a yoke in form or function, such as a frame fitting over a person's shoulders for carrying buckets suspended at either end
2. a part, esp one of relatively thick cross section, that secures two or more components so that they move together
3. a crosshead that transmits the drive of an opposed piston engine from the upper of a pair of linked pistons to the crankshaft through a connecting rod
4. Nautical a crossbar fixed athwartships to the head of a rudderpost in a small boat, to which are attached ropes or cables for steering
5. a Y-shaped cable, rope, or chain, used for holding, towing, etc.
6. (in the ancient world) a symbolic reconstruction of a yoke, consisting of two upright spears with a third lashed across them, under which conquered enemies were compelled to march, esp in Rome
7. Irish any device, unusual object, or gadget
head jamb, yoke
The horizontal member forming the top of a door opening; a doorhead.
1. A horizontal framework around the form work for a column.
2. The horizontal piece forming the head of a window or door frame.
3. In plumbing, a two-way coupling for pipes, in the shape of the letter Y.