Borisovo Burial Ground

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Borisovo Burial Ground

 

a cemetery with burials dating from the fifth to the 14th centuries, located near the city of Gelendzhik, Krasnodar Krai, RSFSR. Between 1911 and 1913, 135 graves were excavated by V. V. Sakhanev. The remains of the dead that he discovered in earthen graves and stone boxes date from the fifth to the seventh centuries. Weapons, work tools, metal decorations, and imported beads were also found. Burials of cremated bodies prevailed in the eighth and ninth centuries. The abundance of weapons, bits, stirrups, and richly decorated harnesses is indicative of the increased significance of the druzhina (the prince’s bodyguard). The objects found in the burial ground are important for studying the history of the Zikhi and of the formation of a class society among the Adyg tribes—the ancestors of the modern Adygeians, Circassians, and Kabar-dins.

REFERENCE

Sakhanev, V. V. “Raskopki na Severnom Kavkaze v 1911–12 gg.” Izvestiia Arkheologicheskoi komissii, 1914, issue 56.

L. A. GOLUBEVA

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.