Bressanone(brās-sänô`nā), Ger. Brixen, town (1991 pop. 16,992), Trentino–Alto Adige, N Italy, on the Brenner Road, and at the confluence of the Isarco and Rienza rivers. Bressanone and its surrounding territory were ruled by prince-bishops from the 11th cent. In 1803 the bishopric was secularized and passed to Austria as a part of the TyrolTyrol
, Ger. Tirol, region and province (1991 pop. 631,410), 4,882 sq mi (12,644 sq km), W Austria. Innsbruck is the capital. The southern section of the historic region are now in Italy.
..... Click the link for more information. . The town passed to Italy with the S Tyrol in 1919; it retains a mixed German and Italian population. Of note are the cathedral (13th cent., with a baroque interior) and the Palazzo Vescovile (17th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/