Bucharest, University of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Bucharest, University of

 

the largest of Rumania’s four universities. It was founded as a state higher educational institution in 1864 through the merger of several colleges. It was reorganized in 1948 in accordance with the law reforming the country’s public education. The university’s organization and structure are based on the decree of the Council of Ministers of Rumania concerning the 1953 statute on higher educational institutions.

In the 1969-70 academic year, the university had 12 faculties: biology; geology and geography; history; Germanic languages; Romance, Eastern, and classical languages; Rumanian language and literature; Slavic languages; physics; mechanics and mathematics; chemistry; philosophy; and law. During the 1969-70 academic year, the university had about 22,000 students and about 1,300 instructors. The university’s library (founded in 1864) contains about 1.5 million volumes (1969).

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.