Also found in: Dictionary.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.



the language of the Buriats, who live in the Buriat Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic; Ust’-Orda Buriat National Okrug, Irkutsk Oblast; Aga-Buriat National Okrug, Chita Oblast, RSFSR; the northern part of the Mongolian People’s Republic; and the northeastern part of the People’s Republic of China. The number of Buriat speakers in the USSR is approximately 239, 000 (1959).

Buriat belongs to the Mongolian group of languages. The grammatical structure is agglutinative. Vowels are subject to rules of vowel harmony and are short and long. The Buriat vocabulary is rich and distinctive. The Buriats did not have their own writing system before the October Revolution; the Old Mongolian writing system had been used for business correspondence and instruction in reading and writing since the 18th century. In 1931 a writing system based on the Roman alphabet was created, and in 1939, one based on Russian. A modern Buriat literary language, based on the Khorints dialect, took shape in the late 1930’s.


Amogolonov, D. D. Sovremennyi buriatskii iazyk. Ulan-Ude, 1958.
Grammatika buriatskogo iazyka: Fonetika i morfologiia, part 1. Moscow, 1962.
Bertagaev, T. A., and Ts. B. Tsydendambaev. Grammatika buriatskogo iazyka: Sintaksis. Moscow, 1962.
Cheremisov, K. M. Buriat-mongol’sko-russkii slovaf. Moscow, 1951.
Russko-buriat-mongol’ skii slovar’. Moscow, 1954.


The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
A low index reflects a flat face, as shown particularly by the Buriats, other East Asians, and Kalahari Bushmen, whereas a high index reflects a medially protrusive face.
Among ethnic Mongols, the Khalkha comprise about 90% and the remaining 10% include Dorvod, Tuvan, and Buriat Mongols in the north and Dariganga Mongols in the east.
(31) The Buriat was also employed (probably by O'Connor) as a British intelligence agent, earning 55 rupees a month for providing information gathered from Tibetans in Darjeeling bazaar.
In a book of more than six hundred pages that is supposed to celebrate the European industry of production, what is celebrated is the calm activity of the Asian civilization paired with the stability of the Buriat who settles down in order to erect a house.
Humphrey (1998:482) describes Buriat pastoralists as survivors of the transition, not through adherence to Soviet blueprints, but through their collective enterprises, which combine a locally retained pre-Soviet reliance on clan-based economies with ideas from "globalized management-speak." Ziker (2002) explains how the Dolgan and Nganasan, hunters and fishers of the Taimyr peninsula, have revived their reliance on family-clan groupings, obliged sharing, and cooperation through informal and non-market relations to make up for the void left after the pullout of Soviet social and economic infrastructure.
For example, he wrote at length about lamas, whom he thought made up "half the male population of Mongolia," noting he had reached that conclusion "from personal acquaintance with families in various parts of Mongolia." He estimated that only 15 percent of the laymen and 5 percent of the lamas could read, adding that if the mission were to be successful, the Bible needed to be translated into Buriat (a related language), which the Mongols could understand.
In the huge tent - home to Mongol, Altian, Buriat and Tartar tribes - visitors can learn to make felt, partake in construction, magic workshops or hear stories from the yurt's homeland.
This announcement of the activities of a |certain official', clipped in St Petersburg by the British Charge d'Affaires, Charles Hardinge, and sent to the Foreign Office in London, introduced the British to a citizen of the Russian empire, the Buriat lama, doctor of Buddhist theology, Agvan Dorjiev (1853 - 1938).
The precarious nature of civil war after 1917 combined with the growth of Altai, Buriat, and Yakut separatist movements was followed by the new Soviet state bringing autonomy, education, and health services in the 1920s.
For example, theories on the place of the Siberian natives in a new Siberia as seen by the Siberian Oblastiki (Regionalists/Nationalists), the arguments over the "correct" role for native Siberian nationalists in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and the activities of numerous Buriat, Kalmykh, and Tungus intellectuals of the late imperial period are a few of the topics that must be understood to evaluate the effect of the Russian governmental policies and the unconscious effect of Russian presence upon the peoples of Siberia.
Ruzgys's views on the initially suspicious attitude of local residents, which he attributes to the Lithuanian special settlers' arrival in a Buriat village in a convoy.