Byelorussian Automobile Factory

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Byelorussian Automobile Factory

 

a factory producing heavy dump trucks. Located in the city of Zhodino (near Minsk). Starting on Nov. 5, 1958, the first MAZ-525 dump trucks, with a load capacity of 25 metric tons, came off the conveyer. Manufacture of the BelAZ-540 dump truck, with a load capacity of 27 tons, began in 1961 (lot production since 1965). Between 1962 and 1968 the factory produced the BelAZ-548 dump truck with a load capacity of 40 tons, the BelAZ-548V motor trailer train with a load capacity of 65 tons, the BelAZ-524 diesel trolley truck with a load capacity of 65 tons, the BelAZ-531 single-axle tractor with 265 kilowatt engine (360 hp), and the BelAZ-549 dump truck with a load capacity between 75 and 80 tons. In 1969 a motor trailer train with a load capacity of 120 tons was produced. From 1958 to 1968 the output of dump trucks increased by a factor of 8.2. The plant was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (1966). For the excellent technical-economic and service qualities of the BelAZ-540, gold medals were awarded at the Leipzig fair in 1965 and at the Plovdiv fair in 1966; and for the BelAZ-548, at Leipzig in 1967 and at Plovdiv in 1968.

V. CHECHKO

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.