Fort Sill was not big enough to accommodate the levels of training needed and the Army selected a site near Columbus, Georgia, and named it Camp Benning. The machine gun school left Fort Sill and moved to Camp Hancock, Georgia, in the summer of 1917.
Camp Benning escaped the closure of military posts during the post-war demobilization when Colonel Paul B.
First established in 1907 at Monterey, California, the School of Musketry moved to Fort Sill, Oklahoma, from 1913 to 1918, before settling into its permanent home at Camp Benning in 1918.
In 1913, the School of Musketry moved to Fort Sill and then on to Camp Benning as the U.S.
By October 6, troops transferring from Fort Sill stepped off the train and stood in formation on October 19 christening the new post "Camp Benning" in honor of a local Confederate General, Henry Lewis Benning.
In addition to instructors, Camp Benning included demonstration units to support training, an Army Air Corps detachment and the 32nd Balloon Observation Company at Lawson Field, and the Infantry Tank School.
Military Events Concerned with the Infantry School of Arms at Fort Sill and Camp Benning, 1918-1921
Efforts to establish the school near Columbus had carried on for more than a year before it was finally moved to Camp Benning. Two classes of people were engaged in this endeavor, local citizens and Army officers.
In none of the major groups, which participated in the contest over Camp Benning was there complete harmony.
On the 19th also, local attention was concentrated momentarily on the temporary camp when, in compliance with a request made in September by the Rotary Club, it was ceremoniously christened "Camp Benning." Legal machinery for the acquirement of the lands for the school was set in motion on October 23 by the request of the Secretary of War to the Attorney General of the United States to institute condemnation proceedings on behalf of the Government.
The effect of this momentous event, which ended the greatest conflict the world has ever suffered, was not immediately apparent at Camp Benning. The construction work at the new site proceeded as rapidly as the contractors' facilities permitted, and the school, on December 2, enrolled a class of about 100 recent West Point graduates and resumed its courses of instruction as if nothing had happened.
For Camp Benning and the Infantry School of Arms the arrival of 1919 marked the advent of a long period of uncertainty and hazard.